Spring greens pesto:
It is March at the Spring is in full flow with a wealth of luscious leaves in the garden, many of them are called weeds, but we know the truth that these weeds are super foods, densely packed with mineral rich nutrients. They are great to combine in a delicious spring green pesto.
- Get out and harvest some of your favourite leaves, nettles, ramsons (or wild garlic), dandelions, garlic mustard, cleaves. Nettles are packed full of iron, ramsons full of minerals and anti-infective, dandelions full of potassium and really clearing and diuretic for the system as well as a little bitter.
- You can mix these with a good handful of homegrown, basil, oregano or marjoram leaves and you might want to add a couple of cloves of garlic too.
- Place all your leaves in a blender or electric mixer with your spring greens & some toasted nuts or seeds we love to use hazelnuts from our tree’s autumn harvest.
- add a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season to taste with black pepper & salt
- Whizz it all up in a blender until pretty smooth and keep covered in the fridge for a couple of days.
- Use on crackers, salads, rice, pasta. Versatile, bursting with spring energy, healthy and delicious.
For more seasonal recipes – check out the SENSORY HERBAL HANDBOOK